Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:48:18 -0600
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        John <papalia@UDel.Edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS Setup

You need an MX (mail exchanger) record, be sure to change the serial number...

# more named.soa
@               IN SOA  chopin.ombuds.siu.edu.  root@ombuds.siu.edu. (
                        1999110301     ; Serial
                        10800   ; Refresh
                        1800    ; Retry
                        3600000 ; Expire
                        86400 ) ; Minimum
                IN NS   chopin.ombuds.siu.edu.
                IN NS   saluki-dns2.siu.edu.

chopin                  IN A    131.230.217.1
ombuds.siu.edu          IN      MX 5    chopin.ombuds.siu.edu

# nslookup
Default Server:  saluki-dns.siu.edu
Address:  131.230.252.1

> set q=any
> ombuds.siu.edu
Server:  saluki-dns.siu.edu
Address:  131.230.252.1

Non-authoritative answer:
ombuds.siu.edu  nameserver = chopin.ombuds.siu.edu
ombuds.siu.edu  nameserver = saluki-dns2.siu.edu
ombuds.siu.edu
        origin = chopin.ombuds.siu.edu
        mail addr = root\@ombuds.siu.edu
        serial = 1999110301
        refresh = 10800 (3H)
        retry   = 1800 (30M)
        expire  = 3600000 (5w6d16h)
        minimum ttl = 86400 (1D)
ombuds.siu.edu  preference = 5, mail exchanger = chopin.ombuds.siu.edu
ombuds.siu.edu  internet address = 131.230.217.1

ombuds.siu.edu  nameserver = chopin.ombuds.siu.edu
ombuds.siu.edu  nameserver = saluki-dns2.siu.edu
chopin.ombuds.siu.edu   internet address = 131.230.217.1
saluki-dns2.siu.edu     internet address = 131.230.252.2

At 11:12 PM 12/15/99 -0500, John wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>I set up a local (publically accessible) name server, got a friend to do
>secondary for me, and registered several domains.  For some reason,
>whenever peopel try to send me test messages, they come back as "host
>unknown".  If the same users try to ping my boxen, or use web access to
>them, they resolve no problem.  Only mail comes back as "host unknown".
>
>I have sendmail allowed in /etc/hosts.allow.  I have mx records in all the
>name databases.  I have O'Reilly's sendmail book on order, and it should be
>here tomorrow :)  Any other places I should start looking? Does DNS have to
>be expressly permitted in /etc/hosts.allow?  This makes no sense since i
>can be pinged and looked up?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>John

Jonathan E. Lyons   				FreeBSD!