Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 16:49:02 +1100 (Australia/ACT)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        drevil@sidereal.kz (Dr. Evil)
Cc:        inemes@transylvania.com.au, jylefort@brutele.be, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, misc@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security: FreeBSD vs OpenBSD

In some mail from Dr. Evil, sie said:
[...]
> EROS, the "Extremely Reliable Operating System" is a project to create
> a new capabilities-based OS from scratch.  Unfortunately this means
> that it has a ways to go before we can get it on a CD and install it
> like we can with *BSD and Linux.  However, the design is fantastic,
> and if they do get it to a real production-quality release, it will be
> the first choice for a secure computing environemnt.

I find that somewhat amusing, given all the flack the Orange Book model
has received over the years.  The above description fits a high level B
or A grade machine (your OpenBSD doesn't even qualify for C2 as can Solaris
and friends).  Given that there are already products available which have
been designed with capabilities in mind, from scratch, shouldn't we all
be using those in environments where security must come first?  Oh, most
of them aren't free or available for pennies, either...

Darren