Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 11:35:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      gvrooij@mmra1.ms.philips.nl (Guido van Rooij)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gated question

We also mailed this question to the gated list, mut perhaps here are
also ppl that have an answer.

We have a freebsd based router. because of the environment we are forced
to only use rip.

For simplicity, assume we have 2 interfaces, say ed0 and ed1.

On ed0 we want the network x.y.z.0 to be always announced with metric 2.
On the ed1 side (connected to the x.y.a.0 network), we've got a bunch of
terminal servers all announcing hosts in the x.y.z.0 net on a per host
basis. So x.y.z.2 sometimes show up being announced from x.y.a.10, and
sometimes on x.y.a.11.

So gated needs to listed to incoming rip packets from one of the
terminal servers on the ed1 side, but should *always* announce the complete
network on th ed0 side (even when there are no x.y.z.0 hosts announced at
all on the ed1 side).

We've tried a number of things, but in vain. The only way the x.y.z.0
route is announced is when it is added in a static { } table. But then gated
refuses to look at rip packets on the ed1 side (whether or not the static
entry is having a noinstall option or not).

So probably it all boils down to the question how to have gated always
announce a particular route without having it declared in a static {}
list.

Hope you can help me!

-Guido