Date:      Fri, 02 Jan 1998 13:57:50 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, <linuxisp@friendly.jeffnet.org>
Subject:   Re: The tone of ETINC to his customers .. ENOUGH!!

At 06:55 PM 1/4/98 GMT, you wrote:
>On Sat, 3 Jan 1998 18:46:49 -0600, "Tyson Boellstorff"
><tboellst@willinet.net> wrote:
>
>>Nice don't pay the bills, guys, and that is what being an ISP is all about.
>>I've had dozens of people mistake me for their mama, when I had to push that
>>ol' new call button.
>
>Though foolish arrogance may seem acceptable to you, it will be
>punished nevertheless.  What goes around comes around.

Perhaps, but the "punishers" are usually little nobodies that are insignficant
and not likely to become significant. I've never had a Telco or Fortune 500
company
refuse to buy something because they didn't like me. If you think that you
are
punishing ET by having to spend $25,000 on an 8-port Cisco 4500 because you
dont want to buy $3200. worth of boards from an ogre like me then you have
more principles (or money) than brains.

>>We're in an industry where prima donnas are common. Pay attention to the
>>good ones.
.>
>Why?  There's always someone else who can perform just as well or
>better without a bad attitude.  If I'm a customer, I can change
>suppliers, and if I'm an employer I can fire and hire.

There are more customers than suppliers. Its much more likely that you will
be damaged by burning your bridges with a supplier than the other way
around.

Your concept that all products are equal and that firing an outstanding
employee because he has an attitude is a good idea implies that the
the color of the sky in your world is different than mine. If a bad employee
shows up late he's fired; if a good one shows up late I call him in my office
and tell  him that I'd appreciate it if he would show up on time. I dont like
Bill Gates but I'm not willing to struggle with X-Win to prove my point. Bill
will not be damaged if I dont buy a few copies of Windows.

Dennis