Date:      Sat, 4 Feb 1995 18:26:51 -0800
From:      fod@netcom.com (Frank O'Donnell)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        fod@netcom.com
Subject:   Serial ports, kermit, XF86Config

First, I wanted to thank those who have given me help at
various stages of installing FreeBSD 2.0 from CD-ROM.  I've
actually got the full install done and have been able to get
X going.

The current issues of the day for me:

1)  My 486DX66 has a no-name multifunction video/disk
controller/serial-parallel port card with two 16450 UART
serial ports.  I also have a Hayes Accura 144 internal modem
with a 16550 UART.  Before installing FreeBSD, I had the two
16450 serial ports left at their defaults of what MS-DOS
sees as COM1 and COM2 (the Microsoft serial mouse being on
COM2), and had the Hayes internal modem card set to COM3.
Both COM1 (unused) and COM3 used the same hardware
interrupt, but none of my DOS/Windows programs seemed to
care and they were able to work with the modem card ok.
When FreeBSD boots, however, it sees a 16450 on sio0 and
sio1, but doesn't see the 16550.  Do I gather correctly that
it is more strict on objecting to the interrupt conflict?
To complicate matters, neither the multifunction card nor
the Hayes card let you reset the IRQ or port address.  The
only way I can see to resolve this, besides taking one of
the cards out, is to disable COM1 on the multifunction card.
However, for whatever reason this doesn't seem to be working
when I reset the jumpers per the card's documentation (even
if I take the Hayes card out and set the other card's
jumpers to disable COM1, the BIOS reports the two 16450's at
COM1 and COM2).  Do I gather correctly that I'll have to
resolve this -- maybe returning this card to the vendor --
before I can use FreeBSD to talk to the internal modem?

2)  I'm not sure what I need to do to run kermit.  I looked
around the system for it; I found a directory under /ports
on the cdrom, but it didn't seem to have a package like the
others (I saw a makefile but when I tried to execute make it
said it couldn't find a .gz file).  Do I need to ftp this
package from a site on the net, or am I overlooking it
somewhere?

3)  I got through most of XF86Config ok, but there are a few
things left hanging.  The manual for my monitor (a 14" Arcus
CM-1448, which I gather is not a major name brand) offered
handwidth, horizontal sync and vertical refresh, but I'm
stuck on some of the values in XF86Config under Mode
(specifically, dot clock, horiz timing and vertical timing),
and the man page didn't seem to illuminate this.  Should I
be plugging something apart from the defaults in here?  The
monitor generally looks ok to me -- it's at a fairly low
resolution (320 x something or 640 x something maybe), but
this works out okay because since the monitor's small I
don't really want tiny type.  The only problem I've run into
that I don't know how to fix is that when the windows pop up
after I execute startx, they extend off the bottom of the
screen and I'm having a hard time resizing them so I can
read all the commands I type.

Thanks once again for any comment on any of the above,

Frank
fod@netcom.com