Date:      Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:33:13 -0500
From:      Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq deskpro won't reboot

Following up on a *very* old post of mine (to current@) which I still get
asked on:

Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org> writes:

> Trying to make use of an old system - Compaq deskpro EN 350Mhz, I ran into
> the following problem: If you issue a reboot(8) the machine shuts down, but
> it never comes back. You have to hit the power button off and then back
> on. Otherwise the machine just sits there, screen blank. The system does
> shut down cleanly.

This is fixed by doing two things:
 - enabling a jumper on the motherboard
 - updating the BIOS

BIOS updates are available from HP. Find them by searching for the BIOS
version. This shows up in the BIOS menu which you active by holding F10
during power-up. It will be something like "686T3" or "686T5". For example:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Deskpro/us/locate/20_123.html
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/download/9249.html

The download creates a floppy disk, which you then boot from. It will back
up your current image (although you can do this yourself from the BIOS menu
as well) and flash the ROM.

Big thanks to Jason Lingohr <jsl@apache.org> and Brian Booth for helping
with this.

--