Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:55:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>
To:        FreeBSD-SMP@FreeBSD.org, Steve Passe <fsmp@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Open Issues on P6DNH

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the long delay.  Had to design and code a new filesystem type,
fight a bunch of political battles, and get a misely raise after a
wonderful review (``words are cheaper than cash'', was my comment).
Hope you are doing well.

*  Although it compiles, the SoundBlaster driver is less than functional;
   cat foo.au > /dev/audio just hangs there.  Works fine under UP on the
   same platform.

*  The fxp driver seems to not get interrupts at all.  Everything times out
   eventually and works like a very slow polled system.  This happens IN
   FRONT of the i960 bridge.  The fpa (fddi) driver, the DPT driver all work
   fine.

*  If you put COM4 on irq 7 it is there, on irq 9 it is not found.  A
   conflict with the sb?  The sb is mapped at 220.  com4 is 2e8.

*  Something strange.  Booted SMP, started X11, xperfmon++ insisted that
   libXaw was not there if ``shimon'' tried to tun it.  Was there if root
   ran it.  Permissions?  Nope.  I re-ompiled and re-installed it.  Now root
   could see the executable (in /usr/X11R6/bin) but not ``shimon''.
   Rebooted and both are fine.  Never seen this one before.

*  Interrupt latency is still not so hot.  The typical DPT driver in UP
   serves an interrupt in 3-55us.  in SMP it takes 11-1000039us.

*  I am getting an enormous number of spurious interrupts.  In UP the
   typical count is 0 aborted (due to errors) and 1 for spurious (int
   routine was called but hardware said ``not me''.  In SMP, the numbrs are
   0 and 62090.  The 1 spurious is explainable ( a bug in transitioning
   from polled mode to interrupt mode during boot.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.  I have sendero-ppp now
run smp.  I have another machine I will setup tomorrow (new Brass) which
will be the same hardware.

Simon