Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2017 22:39:19 +0100
From:      Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>
To:        Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
Cc:        Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@shaneware.biz>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPS that will run xBSD

While I am not a FreeBSD expert, I have built a good few AWS AMIs =
(Amazon Machine Images) for various Linuxes I have used over the years. =
The process generally requires you to use an existing available machine =
(say FreeBSD RELEASE) to build what you need first. You should use a =
pricier and a much faster machine for that, but you can change the =
underlying hardware just for this purpose, switching down to a cheaper =
one later.=20

In the process, you create an AWS ESB volume that contains your desired =
new OS (say STABLE in your case). You snapshot that, which is an easy =
AWS operation, and you register that snapshot as a new AMI that you can =
now use to launch any number of new machines with your desired kernel =
and config.

Bear in mind this is an oversimplification of the process, as you have =
to pay attention to the needs of the hypervisor and the provided =
hardware. However, all of this has been done for us by Colin Percival. =
Have a look at his article in which he explained how to build your own =
FreeBSD AWS AMIs:=20

	=
http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2015-11-21-FreeBSD-AMI-builder-AMI.html

If you do not need an AMI, that is you only want to update the very =
machine on which you are working, you can simply change to a new kernel =
and reboot. Caveat: I have not tried that with FreeBSD (yet) only =
CentOS.

Rafal
--
Rafal Lukawiecki
Data Scientist and Director=20

> On 30 Aug 2017, at 22:19, Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk> wrote:
>=20
> On 25/08/2017 03:16, Shane Ambler wrote:
decided to give one a go to run a backup NS.
I need to create my own VPS provider :-)
>>> RootBSD (https://www.rootbsd.net) are nice people.
>>> I use Gandi (https://www.gandi.net/) myself.
>>=20
>> If you look at the release notes you will find info on pre-installed
>> images for aws and google compute.
>>=20
>> While aws may not be what you call a "cheap" provider it can have =
lower
>> prices, a t2.nano on demand will cost 4.39 a month, but it can get as
>> low as 1.92 a month if you pay upfront to reserve it for 3 years - =
thats
>> 69 for 3 years. So you may pay a few bucks more to test it out but =
for a
>> final setup it can be cheaper.
>>=20
> Hi Shane,
>=20
> Thanks, but the whole problem is that they're "pre-installed". I can't =
run STABLE or any other version Amazon hasn't set up, never mind custom =
kernels. Actually, I've no idea what would happen if you took one and =
recompiled the kernel from new source but I don't really have the time =
to find out - nothing good I suspect.