Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:12:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Bryan Batten <BryanBatten@compuserve.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.2 Won't Boot

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Bryan Batten wrote:

> More on whether or not System Commander can overcome the 500MB limitation:
> I should have RTFM. Page 9 of the manual states flatly that "System
> Commander supports drives up to 8.1 GB in size, ...". In fact, I boot Linux
> from exactly the same location on my second EIDE drive with no problems.

OKay, check that.

> What I eventually did was to de- install System Commander, then install
> FreeBSD yet again, this time using the "Install MBR" option ... and it
> worked! I could boot FreeBSD. However, when I re- installed System
> Commander and tried to boot my newly installed FreeBSD using that, I was
> once again back to the "No bootable partition" message.

Hm, I'm quite sure that the `no bootable partition' message is a complaint
from SysCommander.  So there must be something in the FreeBSD bootblocks
that offends it.

> One option would be just to use "Booteasy"; but the problem there is that
> two of these OSes boot from my second drive, and Booteasy only shows me
> options for my first drive.

Odd, it doesn't give you the `F5  disk 2' option?

> I guess what's really confusing me now is why boot code for a particular
> partition should care what's in the MBR? Whatever is in the MBR obviously
> has run, located the partition boot sector, loaded that, and transferred
> control to it. Could it be that "Booteasy" is a little too paranoid? Less
> checking and validation might improve interoperability - IMHO.

Maybe.  Booteasy is a bit aged.  SysCommander provides some more
intelligence, but there may be something in it that doesn't like the
FreeBSD bootblock.

> At any rate, the FreeBSD boot procedure has me stumped. Is source code
> available for "Booteasy"? Perhaps being able to see what is actually going
> on might help me to resolve matters. Looks like I also need to browse
> through V Communications info to see if they say anything about FreeBSD,
> and Free BSD info to see what I can resolve, there.

The source for booteasy is included in the main distribution, which is
located in tools/src.  It's a short assembly program if I remember
correctly.

> In the meantime, thanks for your interest in my problem.

np.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo