Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 14:25:33 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A general ports question/sylpheed port

[Sorry 'bout the first message, Chip.]

Chip <chip@wiegand.org> types:
> A program installed from the ports system should, or is supposed to, take
> care of ALL dependencies, correct? I tried to install Sylpheed from the ports
> tonite, but when I run it I get this:

Correct. But programs do have bugs.

> Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path:
> "libnotif.so",
>
> I ran, from /
> find . libnotif.so
> and sure enough, it was not found. Is this a problem with the port of
> Sylpheed?

Probably. That library is in x11-toolkits/gtk-engines.  It's also
possible that the port that installs that library was installed, then
pkg_deleted without the port being cleaned. So do a "make install" for
that port. If nothing happens, then you've got that later situation,
so you can do "make reinstall" to install it. If the install installs
it, notify the port maintainer of the problem.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.