Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 14:40:20 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andreas Alderud <aaldv97@student.vxu.se>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security and FreeBSD, my overall perspective

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 01:20:38PM +0200, Andreas Alderud wrote:

> I think it would be wise to have three ports of the ``same´´ package.
> My idea is to have lets say -SECURE, -STABLE - and CURRENT (the same could
> be done with FreeBSD itself).

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. The ports
collection isn't branched into -stable and -current versions, and I
don't see any real benefits to doing that. It should work the same with both.

> The real advantage of this would be if the BSDs would have a unified ports
> system, as proposed by Chris Coleman, and incorperate the ideas of Jordans
> paper on the future package system. [...]

This doesn't sound relevant to the current FreeBSD ports collection -
if OpenPackages want to stratify their ports collection, they can do
what they like :-)

Kris