Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2007 01:05:45 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to kill FreeBSD as a Desktop

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 00:07:32 +0200
Rico Secada <coolzone@io.dk> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I have been using FreeBSD as a desktop system, on serveral computers
> for about one and a half year now. I truly love FreeBSD! But keeping
> third party ports/packages updated is just to timeconsuming IMHO.

Why do you care?

I just run portmanager with nice, in the background. It doesn't
interfere with anything or require any intervention. Unless there is
something suspicious in UPDATING it's perfectly OK to shutdown
overnight.

> Building everything from ports is ok, on a quick machine, but even on
> a quick machine building KDE takes a LOT of time. Waiting until the
> stable packages are ready takes about 2 - 3 weeks, and until then, a
> lot of other stuff needs to be updated.

What does it matter? Why does it need updating? If an individual
package is in portaudit, build just that single port with portupgrade.

Each full upgrade, on average, replaces n old bugs with n new bugs. It
doesn't matter much whether you upgrade twice a day or twice a year.