Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 15:12:21 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 22703 for review

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 02:47:58PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=22703
> >
> > Change 22703 by marcel@marcel_nfs on 2002/12/24 03:18:28
> >
> > 	Bump the interrupt count. On the HP rx2600 we have sio2 on
> > 	interrupt 82. With only room for 64 interrupts we were
> > 	corrupting the interrupt counters for interrupts 27, 28 and
> > 	29. We now have room for 128 interrupts.
> > 	Deal with the fact that we now have 3 digit interrupt numbers.
> > 	While here, replace "intr" with a single hash mark. It helps
> > 	a modified vmstat that also shows interrupt sources that
> > 	don't have any interrupts yet...
>
> Hmm.  The tiger4 goes up to interrupt 180 or so...

Argh :-(

> It has got a *LOT* of
> apics on the board.. it seems like one per PCI slot.. something to do with
> the hot-plug stuff.

Ok. I'm mostly done with sio(4) and puc(4) for now. I have a slew
of changes to make the Diva multi-port card probe and work with
puc(4), and I only have to do a round of testing before I can
commit it. There are a couple of knows bugs in the sio(4) driver,
but they don't stand in the way of using it if it wasn't for
unrelated interrupt issues. The 3 UARTs on the Diva board cannot
allocate the IRQ and the ACPI UARTs don't seem to interrupt.

The bottom line:  I'll be going over the interrupt stuff soon so
I'll keep an eye on possible ways to avoid the static table. A
sysctl interface seems most logical...