Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:31:21 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About Samba

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 05:59:17AM -0800, Kevin Greenidge wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD 4.7 over the weekend and am having
> the toughest time getting Samba working.=20
>=20
> I have up and running on the server but I cannot see
> any of the Samba shares from my WinXP box. I can ping
> the Samba box from winXP so I know it's there. I used
> Webmin to configure Samba and don't remember it being
> this much trouble when I installed Samba in the past.=20

Sometimes, the trouble is in smb.conf with encrypted passwords.
It's commented out by default and has to be uncommented. (or you can
hack the registry on each MS box). =20

I have a beginner's page on samba, which although Linux oriented,=20
might be of use at=20
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/samba.html

Also, you'll find in /usr/local/share/doc/samba/textdocs something
called DIAGNOSIS which might be helpful, it's a good troubleshooting
guide.

HTH
--=20

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Anya: You know this isn't your world, right? I mean, you know you
don't belong here.=20
Willow: No. This is a dumb world. On my world, there are people=20
in chains, and we can ride them like ponies.=20

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA--