Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 00:26:02 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GGI

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > (changed, subject, list, and cc list... it's almost a new mail! :)
> >
> > Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > I can't do the work for FreeBSD until it adopts GGI, and supports ELF
> > >
> > > The GGI people have been looking for someone (with commit priviledges,
> > > obviously) to do a FreeBSD port, and have gone so far as to put the
> > > kernel pieces of their predominantly Linux project *in the public domain*.
> >
> > I looked at GGI, and I liked it. If my memory doesn't fail me, Soren
> > remarked that he was not much impressed with it last he checked it.
> >
> > What I'd like to know is if the Powers That Be of FreeBSD console
> > (Soren and Yokota?) would, present state of the code
> > notwithstanding, accept the adoption of GGI once deemed to be
> > "ready", or if there is any fundamental flaw with it that makes this
> > a hopeless propositon.
>
> Just FWIW, I was approached by one of the GGI group (actually, in the
> employ of Creative, who are apparently going crazy right now about
> cross-platform support) at Linuxworld.  The GGI folks seem quite fervent
> about fixing GGI so that everyone loves it, and they see FreeBSD as
> possibly a better place to start getting it right than Linux (which
> already has a half-assed framebuffer driver).

If this means that my Creative Blaster RivaTNT video card will be
supported in 3D accelerated mode, I'll volunteer my computer to guinea pig
any drivers/software ...

A friend just picked himself up a Voodoo2 card that Linux now supports and
keeps cramming down the "FreeBSD doesn't support 3D accelleration" line
down my throat :(  My card is *supposedly* faster then what he has, from
comparing specs...be great if I can slam it back down his throat :)

 Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org