Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 01:40:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      chad@anasazi.com (Chad R. Larson)
To:        rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com (Richard Todd)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, danny@wildstar.net
Subject:   Re: problem with 3C509 ethernet cards in machine running FreeBSD 2.1.7-RELEASE

> We're having a problem with a Pentium 166 machine with two 3Com
> Ethernet cards in it running FreeBSD 2.1.7-RELEASE and acting as an
> NFS server.  The problem is that every so often one of the Ethernet
> cards (no, not always the same one) stops transmitting, and the kernel
> starts complaining about 'nfs send error 55' (no buffer space
> available).

We've had problems with the 3Com cards in Pentium computers.  We've seen
the kinds of problems you mention under Interactive UNIX, FreeBSD and
Win95.

I believe there may be a hardware problem in their parallel
architecture.  Perhaps a race condition in some state machine?

Anyway, in all cases we got satisfaction by replacing the 3Com card with
one from another manufacturer.  The Intel Ether Express seems to work
for us.  Unfortunate, because we had sorta settled on 3Com as a
standard.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                          Brother, can you paradigm?
602-870-3330    chad@anasazi.com     chad@anasaz.UUCP      chad@dcfinc.com