Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:43:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Cc:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System crash on "vinum start"

> On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 09:11:31AM +1000, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >  Good software shouldn't panic.
> I wish _I_ could convince some people of this :-(.
>
> > > Most certainly is.  Could use the functionality to add to a plex's size for
> > > striped or RAID5, but a bit of planning cures that.  8-)
> >
> > It's all in the pipeline.  But first we need Vinum on the root file
> > system.
> And whilst we're discussing wish-lists...  After several fights with
> Digital/Compaq's Logical Storage Manager, it would be _very_ nice if
> recovery could be done at the physical disk level (ie, "I've just
> replaced da3 - autorecover all vinum volumes that used that disk"),
> rather than having to recover each logical volume.  It would also be
> nice if you could recover mirrored root/swap without needing to
> unmirror and re-mirror them.

Hummm.. this may seem like a really stange question, but I'll throw
it out anyway:

Would $9,000 paid to a developer here with immediate time avaliable
bring FreeBSD 3.x to a state of being able to replace our current use
of hardware raid to do Raid-1 mirroring with hot swap automagic
rebuild capabilities?  (It would need to be production quality code
for very serious business, and completed in 3 weeks time.)

Serious responses only please.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net