Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 02:13:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mailist PostOffice <mailist@whoweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linksys Ether16 LAN Card support?

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Mailist PostOffice wrote:

> Subject: Does FreeBSD support NE2000 compatable Ether16 LAN card?
>
> OS: 2.1 Walnut Creek CDROM
> --------------------------
>
> I'm trying to install a Linksys Ether16 LAN Card (NE2000 Compatable)
> into V2.1 and not getting good results.  Could someone please tell me:
>
> 1) Does this card work on FBSD 2.1?  (it's a PnP card)  It's not mentioned
> as officially supported, but as an NE2000 compatable, I suppose I can
> cross my fingers and hope.

I didn't think the LinkSys's were NE2000 compatible.  Are you sure they
are?

You will need to disable PnP since FreeBSD supports PnP only on certain
devices, and network cards aren't one of them.  Or else figure out where
your PnP BIOS put it.

> 2) Can the irq and memory addressing be changed from the default
> values listed in the config file?

Yes, type '-c' at the Boot: prompt to enter UserConfig, or when you're
rebuilding the kernel.