Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:16:22 -0500
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@netzuno.com>
To:        "Mitch Collinsworth" <mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How to send arp request with no other traffic

Hi,

> You've asked two different questions here, with differing answers:
>
> 1) How to do an arp resolution without sending traffic to the IP, and
> 2) Is it possible to do it all in one command.
>
> The answer to 2) is: of course.

Thanks for the nice explanation of the arp mechanism. This was not really my
question (I already knew that much). My real question was "2: is is possible
to do it all in one command" and more specifically HOW...

The arp(8) command does not do it or at least does not seem to do it. After
browsing through the FreeBSD source, the only way to trigger the arp
resolution is to attempt to send traffic to a given IP.

Patrick.