Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 02:35:55 +0100
From:      "Peter \"Luna\" Altberg" <peter@altberg.nu>
To:        Leo Kliger <leo@astea.com.au>, B Kilgannon <kilgannb@mpx.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Freebsd what is it like?

Well, if you have a laptop, the choice is simple: Linux! I installed Red
Hat Linux on my Compaq LTE5400 w/o no problem, including my 3Com
ethernet and TDK 3600 ISDN pccard (made my ppp connection with a
"point-and-a-click"), but after installing FreeBSD, I'm still in the
dark when it comes to serial communications... RedHat's installation
beats FreeBSD by a million miles, but in the world of free effort s/w,
I'm not complaining...

But no desktop user who is supposed to do anything but PLAYING with free
s/w, should abandon "Micro$oft". You teenagers out there can talk all
you want about "free BSD" for desktops. It's still an illution. There's
just not the software out there for it. You can't make a livin' by
running spreadsheets the latest "Deamon News Style": Emacs => awk => ss.
Three programs instead of one: Excel...

On the other hand, FreeBSD seems very good for enthusiast's and servers.
But, as I said, not for people who wants to improve their
productivity...

- Peter Altberg, Sweden