Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:27:30 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AHA2940AU anyone?

> I got an AHA2940AU with my PPro-200 by mistake. I actually ordered an
> AHA2940UW which I know is supported by FreeBSD. Because it will take
> a while to get it replaced (they are out of stock at the moment), I
> decided to give it a try.
>
> It was easy to get it to work, but I have a problem that when I do
> a reboot, the Adaptec BIOS don't see the disk anymore. Even a reset
> is not good enough. I have to power cycle the machine before the BIOS
> will see the disk again.
>
> Do any of you have an idea where I can look to see what is going wrong,
> or should I just return the card? I had a look on Adaptec's web site,
> but I can't find any reference to this card.

I know of someone with the same exact problem with the Linux aic7xxx
driver.  Only a cold reboot will cause his disk to be seen.  My first
thought was that the disk drive wasn't jumpered correctly.  It doesn't
seem that is the case, though.

Does this card have a BIOS?  Some 7850 controllers do not have a BIOS
(the 7860 is just an Ultra version of the 7850 - only 3 SCBs too).
Is the card set to reset the SCSI bus at chip reset?  Any peculiar
options in BIOS?

It sounds like these cards could have a bug in the firmware.  Do you
have any other operating systems on the system, and do they behave
the same way when warm rebooted?

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org