Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:40:29 GMT
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Enrique_Mat=EDas_S=E1nchez_=28Quique=29?= <cronopios@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/76056: /usr/lib entry in hier(7) man page

The following reply was made to PR docs/76056; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Enrique_Mat=EDas_S=E1nchez_=28Quique=29?= <cronopios@gmail.com>
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:37:36 +0100

 On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:15:06 +0200, Giorgos Keramidas
 <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

 > > I don't really understand the /usr/lib entry in the hier man page:
 > >
 > >     lib/        archive libraries
 >
 > Libraries *are* 'archives'.  Archives of object files.

 I just found a webpage
 (http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90655/ch05s01.html) about HP-UX
 explaining that there are two types of libraries: shared and archive
 libraries.
 Archive libraries are indeed archives of object files created with the
 ar command.

 I am not a programmer, and didn't know about that; therefore my confusion.

 > The description of hier(7) is a bit terse, but it is true IMHO.

 Absolutelly.

 Maybe it should be explained somewhere what an archive library is? The
 handbook does not explain about it.

 Thanks for your time and reply,
  Quique