Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 12:32:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "Eric A. Griff" <eric@cfpower.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advocacy site

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Eric A. Griff wrote:

>     More dynamic.. For example, the lines on the front page (Red
> Heading\nPlaintext) could easily be done in a script right from a database:
> IE
>
>     SELECT * FROM advHeadlines ORDER BY timStamp WHERE active;
>
> Then <h3>$headline</H3>$content<br>
>
>     Or even in a table.
>
>     In C? They're not that hard to do.. MySQL is pretty Interfacable now.
> The API is workable, and beats the crap out of Netapi32.dll from Win32 =)
> Or the DAO/RDO stuff.. Well, they are kinda simple for base functionality,
> though creating a class makes it easier, and very C++ like.

This strikes me as the type of thing that embperl (perl.apache.org) could
be used for.  If they are just headlines, a flat text file could be used
and simply rotated into a directory of static html files when it's
considered old. So that you have:

old-headlines/yy/mm/dd/contents.html

and so forth.

Even easier to mirror would be some SSI so that a straight up executable
could be used (such as a perl script) and thus put very few demands on
what the server has installed.

>     Jordy, there any kind mass brainstorming lists laying around?

I think, this is what the advocacy list is for if I'm not mistaken :^)

- alex