Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:13:23 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: State of NFS in STABLE

In message <4.1.19990929221225.07e02a50@granite.sentex.ca>, Mike Tancsa
writes:

> I have an application where having NFS mounts is required.  Looking back
> through the recent archives, there still seem to be issues with NFS.
> However, what is unclear is if this is primarily due to particular types of
> I/O... In otherwords, if the nfs mount is Read Only, will I avoid the
> majority of problems ? Or if I use V2 ? Or V3 ?

I use NFS on my network at home and at work.  I've forced the use of V2
mounts for about 2-3 years (since 2.2), prior to that I used the
default that was shipped with 2.0.5 and 2.1.

At work I share files between Solaris, Tru64-UNIX, Linux, and FreeBSD.
The only issues I've had are,

1)  FreeBSD NFS may be slower than Solaris or Tru64-UNIX NFS.  I haven't
    measured it.  This is just a "seat of the pants" impression.

2)  When sharing files from my desktop FreeBSD system, which has ipfw
    enabled, to a Tru64-UNIX system at an earthquake resistant site
which
    is 5 hops away, Tru64-UNIX MTU discovery, which is broken, tends to
    mangle NFS packets (and Legato packets too).  Reducing the NFS
buffer
    size to ~ 1400 fixes this.

Sun/DEC Team, UNIX Group    Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca