Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 12:56:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        rv@groa.uct.ac.za, pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP on Intel MG15

> I would hate to think Intel can't make an Intel SMP compliant
> motherboard.  Is this particular board known to have ever run
> an SMP OS?  Can you read the s-spec of the chips?  this is a 3
> digit number starting with SX,SK,S?.  I believe I earlier wrote:
> > I am using it with 2 P5 133mHz parts, type SU022
> which is wrong, I am using 2 SY022 chips  (according to my
> notes of a call with the vendor, the chips are buried too
> deep in the system to check right now)

The Intel Multiprocessing Specification documents two methods of
probing out MP support.  A board only has to implement one of them
to be compliant.

I believe the FreeBSD SMP code requires the MP configuration table,
which the spec says (4.0. P 6):

	2.  The MP Configuration Table.  This table is optional.

Probably it would help to, as part of the boot process for an SMP
kernel, to print out the contents of the MP Floating Pointer Structure
Fields.

Byte 11 of this table, if non-zero, specifies a default configuration
type.  Only types 1-7 are defined by the 1.1 version of the
specification.

It would be interesting to know if:

o	Bytes 4-7 are zero, indicating there is no configuration
	table available
o	Byte 9 is not 0x01, indicating a version 1 MP spec compliant
	board.
o	Byte 11 is zero, indicating a non-default configuration
o	Bits 0..6 of byte 12 are non-zero (indicating an error or
	a future MP definition is being used)
o	Bytes 13-15 are non-zero (also indicating an error or a
	future MP definition is being used)

Note that the 1.1 defined default configurations support only 2 CPU's
maximum.

For Byte 11 non-zero, the host OS is supposed to have a static MP
Configuration Table provided in the case that Bytes 4-7 are also
zero (if they are non-zero, then the MP Configuration Table
supplied by the system overrides the precompiled tables).

I believe SMP FreeBSD does not currently support a non-zero Byte 11
correctly.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---