Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 21:31:47 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@critter.tfs.com
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, peter@haywire.dialix.com
Subject:   Re: Can't NFS mount with latest -current

>> that fits.  I think sysctl_handle_string() essentially does this.
>> Does it have bugs?  Why does it return E2BIG?  This errno isn't
>> documented for sysctl().
>That's a liberty on my part, the manpage will need updating later anyway.

What about the BSDI/NetBSD compatibility?

>> The current (i386) implementation of copyoutstr() is poor.  strlen()
>> followed by copyout() would be much faster.  strlen() followed by
>> memcpy() is close to the fastest method of implementing strcpy() on
>> the i386.
>Huh ?

memcpy() moves 4 bytes at a time, while writing the bytes as they are
read in strcpy() writes only 1 byte at a time.  Thus using memcpy()
to write may be 2 more times faster than using stores to write.  The
actual benefits for using memcpy() depends on overheads unrelated to
read/write and on caching.

Bruce