Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2012 20:32:34 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [SOLVED] Re: optionsng ignores /var/db/ports/<portname>/options

--5G06lTa6Jq83wMTw

On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 09:10:03PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 07:18:26PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > On 03/06/2012 17:05, Roland Smith wrote:
> > > I've used 'make config' to set the PYCAIO option to on;
> > >=20
> > > slackbox# cat /var/db/ports/py27-py-stl/options
> > > # This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
> > > # Options for py27-py-stl-3.1
> > > _OPTIONS_READ=3Dpy27-py-stl-3.1
> > > _FILE_COMPLETE_OPTIONS_LIST=3DPYCAIRO
> > > OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=3DPYCAIRO
> > >=20
> > > But the port seems to ignore it:
> > >=20
> > > slackbox# make showconfig
> > > =3D=3D=3D> The following configuration options are available for py27=
-py-stl-3.1:
> > >      PYCAIRO=3Doff: Use (py)Cairo to enable stl2pdf
> > > =3D=3D=3D> Use 'make config' to modify these settings
> > >=20
> > > Every time I do 'make config', the PYCAIRO option will be unset, even=
 if it
> > > shows as set in /var/db/ports/<portname>/options!
> >=20
> > What does
> >=20
> >  % make -V PORT_OPTIONS
>=20
> slackbox# pwd
> /usr/ports/graphics/py-stl
> slackbox# make -V PORT_OPTIONS
> DOCS EXAMPLES NLS
> =20
> > show?  If PYCAIRO is set in PORT_OPTIONS, then the port is accepting
> > your setting of the option, and you've found a bug with the showconfig
> > target.  (If so, please open a PR.)

Well, it was a bug, but not particularly in showconfig alone, see below.
=20
> > If not, then something odd is happening, as your port looks perfectly OK
> > to me.  Are you using a ports tree updated within about the last 48 hou=
rs
> > or so?  I know there were some bug fixes went in to all FOO_DESC lines =
> > contain (brackets) and other syntactically significant characters.
>=20
> I updated my ports tree this afternoon. The really weird thing is that I
> tested 'make config' in several other ports where it worked fine...
>=20
> > PS. Asking this on freebsd-ports@... might be a good idea.

The bad news is that it was a bug in the ports system. It turned out that
because of the way the unique name of the port was set (which happens twice=
),
the options file is not read from the same directory that it is written to!
Thanks to Baptiste Daroussin for clueing me in in this. I've gained a new
respect for the people maintaining the ports infrastructure. :-) It's kind =
of
amazing it works as well as it does.

The good news is that there are several workarounds. For future reference, =
the
workaround that I ended up using was to set the following variable in the p=
ort
makefile:

    OPTIONSFILE=3D    ${PORT_DBDIR}/py27-${PORTNAME}/options

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/

--5G06lTa6Jq83wMTw