Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 23:32:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, markm@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which setuid's don't work?

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Brian Somers wrote:

> Works fine.  Ppp used to use setreuid() and now uses seteuid().

I tried a few different applications this afternoon, including perl5, and
removed any hope of them using anything but seteuid() and they all worked
just fine.

To Mark, I think it would be appropriate to set the perl5 hints for 3.0 as
follows:

#
# Guesses at what will be needed after 2.2
*)
        useshrplib='true'
	so='so'
	dlext='so'

        usevfork='true'
        usemymalloc='n'
        d_dosuid='define'
        ;;
esac

I turned on useshrplib because it doesn't seem useful to me to statically
link against libperl if you're going to use a shared libc and co...

It might also be nice if a link is made from the libperl.so.4.4 in the
depths of /usr/local/lib/perl5 to /usr/local/lib/libperl.so.4.4.  That
will make it easier for folks doing embedded perl.

(I'd also be inclined to set privlib=/usr/local/libdata/perl5, but I think
the above should be good for the average user, and the purists (myself
included) can use libdata :-)

Evan