Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:34:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster@cygnus.stack.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SoundBlaster PCI64

Hello everybody,

I'm having trouble getting my SoundBlaster PCI64 working.
I've tried heaps of stuff, but I'm not getting anywhere, so any help
would be appreciated.

To the kernel I added the line:

device          pcm0    at isa? port? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15

After rebooting I get the following in my /var/log/messages (with a boot -v):

/kernel: mss_probe: no address supplied, try default 0x530
/kernel: mss_detect error, busy still set (0xff)
/kernel: sb_probe: no address supplied, try defaults (0x220,0x240)
/kernel: pcm0 not found

A call to pciconf reveals that my computer somehow detects the card even
though I do NOT get a es1 driver in my kernel messages. BTW, my computer
says at boot time (before FreeBSD boots) that the card is at pci0:9:0: with
irq 9.

% pciconf -l
[snip]
es1@pci0:9:0:   class=0x040100 card=0x4c4c4942 chip=0x50001274 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
[snip]

Statting the device reveals that FreeBSD does detect something, but a cat
of an au file to /dev/audio1 and /dev/audio2, or using splay with device
dsp1 and dsp2 to play a wav file has no result. The command returns
immediately and no sound is produced (I tested the speakers with my discman,
and the work fine, and they are connected in the green jack ;-))

% cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (981002) Jun 21 1999 20:51:01
Installed devices:
pcm1: <ENSONIQ AudioPCI> at 0xb800 irq 0 dma 0:0
pcm2: <ENSONIQ AudioPCI DAC1> at 0xb800 irq 0 dma 0:0

Does anybody have a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanx in advance,
Sebastiaan van Erk