Date:      28 Jul 1998 08:44:25 +0200
From:      smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>, Dennis Reiter <mcneills@accessus.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: QPopper exploit

Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu> writes:
> Me, for example. But the question is what constitutes "proper
> security" for a run-of-the-mill pc-user (well equipped with
> FreeBSD as his OS) who only goes on-line to fetch his mail and do
> a little surfing.

Disable inetd; you don't need anyway unless you have a LAN at home.
Disable sendmail. Disable routed (you should do that anyway). Even
better, read the ppp(8) man page and set up ppp to block all incoming
connections (you'll have to use passive mode ftp and cvsup; the former
is trivial, and the latter is explained in the cvsup FAQ)

BTW, there's a bunch of docs in /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp too.

> > If I were a cracker, the first thing I'd try would be to scan IP
> > ranges known to belong to large ISPs' dialup servers, precisely for
> > that reason (and also because there's a much higher chance of finding
> > machines run by inexperienced or careless people there than amongst
> > permanently connected hosts)
> Hmm, major universities for example? (He asks through his UMass
> PPP account.)

And I answered through my University of Oslo PPP account :)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com