Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 10:02:42 -0500
From:      John Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
To:        <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CCD & booting on /

Philippe Regnauld:
>Stop me when I'm falling over the edge :-)
>
>I'm interested in getting a machine with having every partition
>as a CCD mirror -- including /.
>
>I'm aware of the usual problem of having / as a ccd: the bootblocks
>won't be able to read the partition, etc...
>
>But I remember, on one setup using _mirroring_ (and only in that
>case of course) where one of the disks died, I just rebooted
>single user on the remaining disk, changed the ccdconfig
>line to remove the defective disk, and ran ccdconfig with the same
>options -- and I was up and running again, with a 1-sided mirror :-)
>
>My question is: is there no workaround/unspeakable hack that
>could be made, with CCD in the kernel,  for the bootblocks to read
>from the first of an N-part mirror, just to get past the boot ?
>
>Yeah, I could of course have / = 2 MB and symlink everything
>somewhere else :-P

if you could spare a cylinder on each disk, you could have a kernel
load from the first cylinder on the first disk past the bootsector
and then use unionfs for that partition (readonly) and ccd. The
kernel would also be on a readonly filesystem. You'd have to keep
a backup of the kernel. Minimally, you'd need to put some parts of
/etc on the small partition, I think. Someone else would be better
at telling you exactly which parts.

-John