Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 1997 16:24:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "UC Computer / Transbay.Net" <root@transbay.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        reprint@transbay.net
Subject:   How to configure NAT, and can it do this in any case?

I'm trying to set up a gateway/firewall box with a phony net on the inside.

(office)                gateway machine .........................
192.168.254.X/24 <----> ed3=192.168.254.2/24  ed2=207.105.6.18/24 <----> INET

I'd like the office machines to be able to transact web/ftp traffic, at a
mimimum, and possibly SMTP, directly through the gateway/firewall.

How do I configure natd / rc.firewall to get the gateway machine to 'proxy'
for the unroutably addressed office machines?

I thought that natd on the gateway could translate incoming packets from any
192.168.254.X box seen on the ed3 interface so that the packets would be sent
to/from the internet over ed2 as if they had come from the gateway, and would
be sent back to the 192.168.254.X machine as if the connection had been
processed normally.

Is that true? The man page for natd does not address the picture above,
and in working with a test case I haven't been able to get any packets
from a prototype office machine past the gateway. Apart from using a
'divert natd' statement, the firewall is not blocking anything.

Even using one invocation of natd or one set of natd rules per office machine
would be fine.

-ecsd@transbay.net