Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2006 04:51:08 -0800
From:      <soralx@cydem.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Venting my frustration with FreeBSD

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:43:15 -0600
Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org> wrote:

> days I'm not so sure.  Is FBSD targetted at network servers, at
> desktops, at embedded devices?

don't know about the official target, but it does make a good
workstation (or used to, before came pthreads and gnome, and maybe
KDE: now tracking down crashes, bugs, compile errors, sudden breakage of
things, never ending instability -- all this wastes huge amounts of
time. Huge.)

>  What architectures do we target?
> Looking at the website I see alpha, amd64, ARM, i386, ia64, MIPS,
> pc98, ppc, sparc64, sun4v, and xbox.  I know this is a volunteer
> project, I know you really can't keep people from tinkering with what
> they want to tinker with, but xbox?  It seems to me to be a waste of
> resources to concentrate on anything besides i386/AMD64.....

perfectly normal and acceptable (and, IMHO, welcome) directions.
Just like you, everyone (I suppose) wants to be able to run their
favourite OS on the available hardware (every hw has its pros&cons, too)

> surprised if sparc went away)  ARM isn't going away, but is FreeBSD
> really concerned with the embedded market?

of course! (e.g., m0n0wall)
can you suggest a better OS for this purpose?

--
[SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2