Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 21:09:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        the_srinivas@hotmail.com (Srinivas Dharmasanam)
Cc:        ken@kdm.org, jlemon@flugsvamp.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP&IP cksum offload on FreeBSD 4.2

> Hi,
> I'm using the Netgear GA620 Gig ethernet NIC with Tigon II chip.
>
> Do you know if it is possible to increase the buffer size for standard sized
> ethernet frames from 512 buffers to say, 1024?
>
> I assume I'd have to modify the firmware and the host driver to accomodate
> these buffers. I dont plan to use Jumbo frames at all, and I can reduce the
> buffers allocated for them if necessary.

You would need to change the firmware in order to increase the size
of any of the RX rings. All of the Tigon II manuals and a snapshot of
my firmware development tree is at the following URL:

	http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/Alteon

Note that I'm not sure how this will affect the layout of data
structures in the NIC's on-board SRAM.

-Bill