Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:07:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        brendonl@netzero.net (Brendon Lloyd)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE reboots.

> I'm running three large ftp servers (300 users per server usually) on
> freebsd 3.1. The frequency of their reboots seems dependent on the load
> they're experiencing.

Normally I'd say its too early for me to say anything.  But the strangest
thing is that I may be seeing this on 3.2-RELEASE.  Can't say what the problem
is yet.  You didn't mention it, but is anything logged in /var/log/messages?

In my case, the system has rebooted twice without logging a thing.  This
machine has been running FreeBSD 24x7 since 2.0.5 (sometime in 1996),
except for those occasions when I've taken it down to move it or add
hardware.  I'm still gathering data.

When you see an unlogged reboot (looks like someone hit the reset switch),
one should think hardware problem.  Too much heat, too little power, a
flakey motherboard...  Have you added any new hardware lately?

Jon Doran