Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:42:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        "Christopher G. Petrilli" <petrilli@dworkin.amber.org>
Cc:        Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPro vs PII

> > The P2 will smoke it. Better yet, go up to 350 or 400MHz, then you can
> > utilize 100MHz system bus.
>
> This is a red herring... the system bus was a big restriction back when
> the cache was running at bus speed---any increment made a huge
> difference, but with the current PII architecture, the bus speed has
> long since ceased to be a problem.  How many devices do you know that
> can saturate a PCI bus constitently?  Don't use this as a reasoning.

The bus can easily get saturated, and this is a _big_ difference,
considering the DRAM, L2, PCI, AGP, etc., all are directly related to
system bus speed. You yourself later admit that I/O usually binds system
speed, and the system bus is a large portion. You can saturate a PCI bus
with any one of the following:
	o (1) gigabit ethernet
	o (1) Matrox Meteor
	o (1) Adaptec 7890 Ultra-2 SCSI

With any _one_ of those devices, excluding IDE, normal 100MBit ethernet,
anf video (which is _very_heavy_)

> > Since the P2 has DIB (dual independent bus) for the L2 cache, higher clock
> > rates, and much faster DRAM access, you'll definitely notice the
> > difference. Pros are at the end of their lifecycle, and will be hard to
> > support.
>
> The PROs will be faster ata given clock speed, and with the cache
> architecture of the Pros, probably at 50% above that, given a normal
> model of execution (80-90% cache hit rate).  Remember, that you can get
> PPros with 512K or 1Mb of L2 cache that is running 1:1 with the chip,
> rather than 2:1.

But we are not talking philosophy here; who cares about clock-for-clock?
This is the real world, where net performance is more important that
theoretical (clock-for-clock) benchmarks.

> The big problem in most systems in my view (having been responsible for
> system optimization of mainframes and large UNIX boxes) is never the
> CPU---unless you're doing scientific applications, then it's usually
> memory---it's almost always I/O bandwidth.  A faster disk, more memory
> for caching, more SCSI busses, etc, will make a BIG impact on your
> overal system throughput--

which a 100MHz bus will improve by 50%...

> -which is a much better measure than
> "boboMIPS" :-)  Just cuz you're CPU can spin faster, doesn't mean it
> doesn't do anything useful during those cycles.

Correct. I would invest in a nice CCD setup w/ the Adpatec Ultra-2. But
this is the -SMP list, so these are people that DO NEED the extra CPU.
Probably breaking keys... ;)

Kevin