Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 1997 11:13:45 -0500
From:      Travis Mikalson <bofh@TerraNova.net>
To:        Security Administrator <sadmin@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: rebooting problems

Security Administrator wrote:

> A quick question:
>
> Every five to six days or so my 2.1.7-based system reboots.  There doesn't seem to be ANYTHING present in the logs to explain this phenomena.  Everything seems to be stable and then it suddenly reboots.
>
> If this is something that someone else has confronted, I would love to know how you mended the problems.

I'm running 2.1.5 on a 6x86/P166+ with a 2940UW and two SCSI drives
Mine rebooted every 1-6 days; it had a bad motherboard and/or processor
Another of its symptoms was the fact that make world would either fail
or the system would crash, I once had a kernel compile fail as well

I replaced my board and processor and everything was fine

> My system is a P6-200 with an Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI-III controller, 128 Megs
> of EDO mem, and 256 Megs of swap that has been evenly split between two
> SCSI-III drives.  I did have sound support compiled in at one point, but the
> system was totally unstable.

Try removing/swapping hardware until you can complete a make world..
starting with the sound card

Travis
--
TerraNovaNet Internet Services - Key Largo, FL