Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:08:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <giffunip@asme.org>
Cc:        Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/6812: New port: GNU plotutils

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> Matthew Hunt wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 02, 1998 at 05:30:01PM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> >
> > >  Actually, USE_X11 was probably a misnomer; it only means "set PREFIX
> > >  to /usr/X11R6".  If the port compiles and runs fine without it, then
> > >  there is no need to define it, regardless whether it can be used for
> > >  non-X environments or not.
> >
> > Then shouldn't USE_X11 be removed from almost every port that uses it?
> > Perhaps I'm confused, but if a port *needs* a PREFIX of /usr/X11R6,
> > isn't it broken to begin with?
>
> No! As I understand, USE_X11 should only be used when the port requires
> certain X11 resources, for example when files go to
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/$(NAME_OF_THE_PACKAGE), or when files go to the X11
> help or icon directory.

Are you going to do plotutils, then?  I want/need that for interfacing
to spice, so I was going to do it myself (I just got back from a little
hiatus, I'm working my way thru 4400 emails right now).  If you want,
I'd do it myself ...

>     Pedro.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).