Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 01:34:16 -0500
From:      x <y>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Persistent Mode pppd

Greetings, Another task for the native gurus...

	These issues are all on 2.2.5R.

(1) The Complete FreeBSD states there is a "demand" option in /etc/ppp/options.  I am able to use "persist", but
not "demand".  I believe this is a doc error, and will forward this to the appropriate folks upon confirmation.

(2) The persist option on works is the pppd daemon is *successful* on it's attempt to reconnect.  If the chat
script fails for some reason, it will cease all future efforts to re-establish the ppp connection.  Is there
a way around this behaviour?

(3) The CHAT page says to see UUCP for more info on chat scripting.  UUCP tells me to see CHAT!  WTF?

(4) Regardless of #3, the scripting engine is not very reliable, which is what brought about #2.

Just to recap what I actually *need*...  How do I force pppd to continue trying to reestablish a connection,
no matter what - forever if need be?

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org