Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:57:02 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   non-writeable directory - can't be removed

Hey all.  I'm trying to get some temp files cleaned out, and the one
giving me trouble is /tmp/temproot/var/empty/

The empty directory is in fact empty, but the ownership and
permissions seem to make it impossible to remove it.  I've tried rm
-rf, rm -df, and rmdir all as root, but all I get is:
# rm -df empty/
rm: empty/: Operation not permitted

Same thing happens when I try to change the permissions.

The permissions look like this:
dr-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Aug 31 22:55 empty

Any idea how I can get rid of it?  And the associated directory,
/var/empty has the same permissions, and is also empty.  Is it a
necessary directory? Seems to me any directory with no write
permissions at all is pretty much useless.

BTW, I'm running 4.6.2-RELEASE #5

TIA
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

I object to intellect without discipline;  I object to power without
constructive purpose.
    -- Spock, "The Squire of Gothos", stardate 2124.5