Date:      Fri, 3 May 1996 20:45:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        dgy@rtd.com (Don Yuniskis)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: using DLT drive on FreeBSD

> > I 'found' myself a DEC TZ87 DLT drive destined for the scrapyard. This
>
> Hold onto it... I think the 2000 series is being discontinued...

Quite likely with the 4000 and 7000 series being the current/future
offering.

> > Quantum calls this a DLT2000. Apart from solving my backup needs for
> > the foreseeable future :-) I also have a few questions:
>
> Don't count on it!  My 2500xt (15/30G) is already starting to max out
> when doing level 0 dumps.... :>  Plus, the tapes are quite expensive
> and DON'T EVER DROP ONE!

Hmm, I don't have 10Gb worth of disks at home ;-) Tapes are a bit
of an issue, in supporting customers I learned you can screw the
tapes. Never succeeded in botching one myself but as we all know
customers tend to be better at breaking things.

> > /usr Solaris filesystem. Side note: I had to put the drive on a seperate
> > SCSIbus/adapter to make this work.
>
> I wouldn't even try to keep them streaming -- unless you've got a really
> fast disk subsystem *and* the DLT on a separate (FAST) SCSI adapter
> with nice short cables...

Come on, they are 'Born to Stream' ;-) The Sun could do it, so I don't
see why a decent FreeBSD system could not do it. FWIW the single disk
I pulled data from on the Sun is an identical model to the one in my
Asus @ home.

A controllerbased raidarray on the Sun proved to be better in getting
the drive to stream but it is not impossible to do it from a single disk.

Wilko