Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:34:22 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <portmaster@BSDforge.com>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Procmail Vulnerabilities check

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 19:46:55 +0100 "Kurt Jaeger" <lists@opsec=2Eeu> said

> Hi!
>=20
> > If you, as an administrator of a/your system(s), see no problem with
> > (port) scanners, and take no action to thwart such activity=2E You are
> > more than likely to encounter trouble(s) down the road=2E
>=20
> Right, portscanning is bad, if not done in a transparent way,
> so as sys-admin I have to reduce exposure=2E
>=20
> But it's a valid tool, nevertheless=2E
>=20
> > In short; I see them all as "black hats"=2E Honestly=2E Can you *really*
> > determine good intentions from bad intentions on an incoming port scan?
>=20
> Yes=2E If it's done with full transparency, I don't mind scanning=2E
>=20
> With transparency, I mean:
> - reverse dns is set
> - scan from the same IP all the time
They don't=2E For the sake of argument, I'll name showdan; they use (off
the top of my head) some 9 to 12 addresses=2E Addresses the move, also=2E :(

> - some point of contact for the scan (a website, email etc)
> - if requested, the scanner delivers individual results to the scanned
> - if requested, one can be excluded from the scan
> - all the results are only used for 'above-the-waterline' work,
>  like research or statistics
> - scanner is willing to be audited
> - [maybe some other rules=2E=2E=2E]
>=20
> In fact, I've even organised such a project doing that for TLS:
>=20
> https://github=2Ecom/TLS-Check/tls-check
I respectfully agree to disagree with you on this=2E Mostly on one point;
I should be informed *prior* to the port scan/audit, not *after*=2E

>=20
> I would not mind a registry at IANA for such transparent scan projects,
> so that all the other ones can be traced and stopped=2E
This, my friend, I agree with you on, wholeheartedly=2E :-)

--Chris