Date:      Sun, 09 Nov 1997 17:34:13 GMT
From:      jness@mail.vt.edu (James Ness)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Probably very familiar modem problem (installation)

Forgive me for asking what I'm guessing is a common question, but:

I'm trying to install FreeBSD using FTP and PPP.  The problem, as I'm
sure several people can guess, is that I can't get the kernel to
detect my internal modem.  Currently it is on sio1(COM2), IRQ 3.  It
works well with Win95 (well, as well as things run under windows)),
but during the hardware search of the FreeBSD installation- kernel, it
does not detect anything where the modem is.  No matter where I move
it to, no matter what the IRQ, it still doesn't find it.  Any other
serial ports are fine.

Now, I know this is a some-what common problem.  I've searched and
searched through the FAQ, handbook, mail archives, etc, and found many
messages _asking_ this question, but no messages _answering_ it.  If
anyone has an idea how to fix it, I'd love to hear.

Thank you for listening.
-James