Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:33:01 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bernie <Bernie_X@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw logging + rules -- newbie

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:08:34PM +0200, Bernie wrote:
[snip]

> in the /var/log/security i get many blocking messages,
> blocked by the last 'default' rule saying:
>
> /kernel: ipfw: 65435 Deny P:2 194.x.x.x 224.0.0.1 in via tun0

Those are IGMP packets.

> 1. should i allow this ip? if i can connect to the isp with
> no problem, why does it want to connect to me? is this normal
> on dialup connections?

Yes, it's pretty normal. The ISP's routers are trying to figure out if
your machine wants to/knows how to speak multicast.

> 2. in the line above, what does the 'P:2' means?

IP Protocol 2, IGMP. See protocols(5) and /etc/protocols.

> and the
> 244.0.0.1?
   ^ (you mean 224)

The destination IP address. It's the "all systems" multicast address.

> 3. is there any way to see more extensive info of the firewall
> log, ie more details?

Not really. I've got some patches that enable additional information
in the URL below.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."