Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 12:47:29 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Kip Macy <kip@lyris.com>
Cc:        "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>, Steffen Merkel <d_f0rce@gmx.de>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel threads

On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 10:30:54AM -0800, Kip Macy wrote:
> They may be preemptive, but I saw a lot of instances with Lyris where one
> thread could easily monopolize processor time at the expense of all
> others and I had to add sleeps in at places.

Is this recently, or a while ago?  FreeBSD user threads used to use
SIGVTALRM for its pre-emption signal.  This didn't count time in
syscalls.  So, if you had a syscall (eg I/O) intensive thread, it
would hog processor time.  I think that has been changed.

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 262-367-5450