Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:00:37 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wow, it has been a while

James Howard wrote:

> In fact, since that first install of 2.2.2, I have not installed any
> other OS, except for a simple install on a throw-away system.  And
> even then, it never lasts more than a few hours, or long enough to see
> what they have changed in the past year.

aol.

I've got two Linux distributions installed on one of my computers
(Debian and RedHat), but, having used them both a bit, I really don't
see what all the fuss over Linux is about. (That computer is booted into
FreeBSD mostly of course.)

> So what I am saying here is thank you for making such a kick ass
> system and I'd love to hear about other's first expereinces with
> FreeBSD, or BSD if you are older.

I came across FreeBSD by chance really. IIRC I was downloading some
big Quake-related thing (god knows what), and found a directory called
"/packages/FreeBSD" on the ftp server while I was poking around waiting
for the download to finish. I read a few README files, downloaded the
bin.* files (which took a while over a 28.8k modem), and, well, that was
that. I guess that's the only useful thing to come of me playing Quake.
:-)

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D