Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:42:37 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: huge difference between du and df  - no open file descriptors

On Jul 30, 2014, at 11:32, Nils Effenberger <effenberger@work.de> wrote:

> root@zhoernchen:~ # dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/root/test bs=3D1024 =
count=3D3500000
>=20
> /: write failed, filesystem is full
> dd: /root/test: No space left on device
> 38849+0 records in
> 38848+0 records out
> 39780352 bytes transferred in 0.422187 secs (94224517 bytes/sec)
> root@zhoernchen:~ # df -h
> Filesystem          Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/mirror/root    4.8G    4.8G   -395M   109%    /
> devfs               1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> root@zhoernchen:~ # rm test
> root@zhoernchen:~ # df -h
> Filesystem          Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/mirror/root    4.8G    4.8G   -395M   109%    /
> devfs               1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
>=20
> (Note that I deleted the 'test' file without effect.)

Is there a journal that has not completed checkpointing yet? I would see =
that with UFS under Solaris. Deletions would take a few seconds (or =
minutes if the fuel was large or the FS very full) to be reported by df.

> du(1) still shows 2.2G:
>=20
> root@zhoernchen:~ # du -shx /
> 2.2G    /
>=20
> When I now try to create files I get ENOSPC :(

Are you dealing with lots of small files? I am no FreeBSD UFS expert, =
but under Solaris, space was allocated in minimum block sizes (there =
were blocks and frags, blocks were, by default 8KB and frags 1KB). So if =
you had a 512B file it would take up 1KB. du would show 512B used and df =
1KB used. I do not know whether FreeBSD UFS has single or dual (or more) =
allocation units or what size they are. But that is one of the ways du =
and df differ.

du shows the size of the file

df shows the amount of space used in the filesystem

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org