Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2012 14:27:49 -0500
From:      Jack Stone <jacks@sage-american.com>
To:        Theodor-Iulian Ciobanu <thciobanu@nth.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Simple redirect

On 9/18/2012 1:35 PM, Theodor-Iulian Ciobanu wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:16:15 -0500
> Jack Stone <jacks@sage-american.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/18/2012 12:37 PM, Jack Stone wrote:
>>> FreeBSD mail.sagedata.net 7.4-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 7.4-RELEASE-p10
>>> apache22
>>>
>>> Sorry if this belongs on a different mail list, but figure there
>>> are plenty here who know how to do this.
>>>
>>> On one of our web sites, some 4 years ago we moved the content into
>>> a new directory, but after all this time there are some 100
>>> referrers still linking to the old location.
>>>
>>> If the incoming link doesn't direct one to www.myweb.com/
>>> how would we redirect to www.newplace.html
>>>
>>> Appreciate advice....
>>>
>> I should have mentioned, those old links are being directed to about
>> a dozen various directories. I want the referrer to ignore those and
>> redirect to the new "www.newplace.html"
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-10.3.2
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_301

Thanks for the help but I figured it out and doesn't even notify a 301
that place has been moved which I like. Slick!!

Here's examples of dirs and pages using rewrite in the .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine on
# dirs
RewriteRule ^a10 lbc_signup.html [PT]

# pages
RewriteRule ^abook.html lbc_signup.html [PT]

All the best,
Jack