Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:19:41 -0500
From:      Greg Groth <ggroth@gregs-garage.com>
To:        Frank Staals <frankstaals@gmx.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Question; unable to send mail as normal user

> Hmm I guess that sould be the problem then:
>
> root@Fstaals$ telnet localhost 25
> Trying ::1...
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.eu.org
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 Fstaals.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.3/8.13.3; Mon, 7 Aug 2006 20:31:30
> +0200 (CE
> ST)
> EHLO localhost
> 250-Fstaals.net Hello localhost.eu.org [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE
> 250-DSN
> 250-ETRN
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP
>
> I compiled sendmail with the following options:
>
> root@Fstaals$ cat /etc/make.conf
> # SASL (cyrus-sasl v2) sendmail build flags...
> SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
> SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
> SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2
> # Adding to enable alternate port (smtps) for sendmail...
> SENDMAIL_CFLAGS+= -D_FFR_SMTP_SSL
> # added by use.perl 2006-03-02 22:35:07
> PERL_VER=5.8.8
> PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
>
> What should I do fix this ? Appart from those lines in /etc/make.conf I
> didn't change anything regarding to the build of sendmail
>
> Regards,

Need more info.  How did you recompile Sendmail?  For instance, I did a
minimal install, updated my ports, installed cvsup-without-gui &
fastest-cvsup, cvsupped my sources, ran a buildworld to get the base
system up to date, then added the following to make.conf:

SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2

installed sasl2 by compiling from the ports

then I recompiled Sendmail as follows:

cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail
make clean
make obj
make depend
make
make install

Once that was done, I went into /etc/mail and added the following to
freebsd.mc

define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`PLAIN LOGIN')dnl

After saving the file, I ran the following in /etc/mail:

make all
make install
make restart

After which a telnet session showed the correct AUTH paramenters.

In the instances I had a screwup in which I could not resolve, I've made
the following bonehead moves:

1. Ran make installworld without dropping to single-user mode
2. cvsupped to the wrong source tree due to my ignorance of the tags in
the cvsup file.

My latest misadventures with getting PLAIN LOGIN working were on systems
where I did everything correctly, but installed a number of ports prior
to messing with the MTA.  This included Apache, PHP, MySQL,
Squirrelmail, XOrg, KDE-lite, and whatever dependencies were needed.
The same issue occured with trying to get PLAIN AUTH working with
Postfix, and on a second box with Sendmail.  I ended up reinstalling,
and focused on getting the MTA and SASL2 working immediately after
getting the system up to date, and had no issues.

IMHO, worry about getting PLAIN LOGIN working before messing with
compiling SSL support into Sendmail.  In my experience, configuring SSL
can be a pain, making sure everything is where it's supposed to be.

Best regards,
Greg Groth