Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2012 08:01:38 -0400
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building a FreeBSD desktop.

Daniel Feenberg writes:

>  But why order parts? If you want to learn FreeBSD, just take any
>  old windows box and install FreeBSD over the existing windows
>  install. It will work fine and won't cost you anything.

	This was (close to) my gut reaction.  If all you want it the
learning experience, any machine made in the last 10 (15?) years
that can install Windows can probably install FreeBSD.
	If/when you get past that and want (e,g,) a:

	high performance gaming box
	file server
	router/firewall
	high availability web server

	... now we're talking about specific hardware.

					Robert Huff